Thursday, August 18, 2011

Is It Nuts to Act like a Squirrel?

Here we are at the end of August and due to being heat stressed, the walnut trees are already dropping their nuts.  (Usually this doesn't happen till late September/early October here in Oklahoma.)  At first the nuts were smaller than usual, but the closer we get to "normal" harvest time, the larger the nuts are becoming.

I like to take the opportunity of my lunch hour to get out of the office and pick-up walnuts.  I try to be deligent and get them as soon as they fall, when they're still green.  I never pick them off the tree quite simply because the tree isn't finished making them yet.  Many times, I feel like an overgrown squirrel picking up nuts and putting them into my recycled shopping bag.  There are always plenty to share with my furry bethren as I pass over those that have lain on the ground too long, or are slightly imperfect due to other ways.

In the park where I typically pick up these little packages of brown dye, there is one tree that has been barren for several years.  Today, it yielded three nuts to me!  I wonder if that is all it will produce.

When I return home from work, I will hoard my nuts into drying racks.  There they will wait until it is time to relinquish their tannin treasure to my dye bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment