Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weld and Indigo

The weld gave a beautiful, soft baby chick yellow with an alum mordant on the yarn and fabric.  I wasn't sure it was going to take, but after removing it from the dye pot, I'm so pleased.

A long time friend graduated with her doctorate this weekend and I wanted to give her something special.  I chose to dye her a silk scarf in indigo using shibori surface design.  I actually used four different types of designs and made a duplicate of each.  For me, choosing the article of which to make a gift is a lot like choosing the perfect teddy bear, it's all about appearance.  My arashi was a little loose and two of the scarves came out looking marbled.  It was perfect.  Giving a gift that I make or dye or both is like giving a little part of myself.  It was well received

No comments:

Post a Comment